Thursday, February 3, 2011

Week One Part 2: Food

Jeremy here again:

Along with quitting drinking another goal of mine for week one was to start eating healthier. My wife had to go to the doctor for a stomach problem and the doc said, “no meat.” She apparently ate some bad chicken from a restaurant that caused her to get some sort of bacteria in her stomach. So, as a result of this, we started eating vegetarian. Well, ok, she did, but I cut out a lot of meat in my diet. I went three days without it, but we also took in a huge amount of vegetables and fruits.

We shop at Whole Foods. This started about a year ago. Yes, it is more expensive, but the meat I do eat is certified organic. No steroids or antibiotics. Now, of course, I am taking Whole Foods at their word and no, I have not had any 3rd party testing done on their meat.

You walk into this store and it just smells fresh.

Switching to a more vegetarian diet has been somewhat difficult because it is causing us to learn new recipes. Week one included, vegetarian spagetthi, portabella teriyaki, and burgers made out of beans. We have also made sure to go light on the carbs. Side dishes include: zucchini and squash, salads, brussel sprouts, green beans, leeks, carrots, and sweet potatoes. For snacks: apples, oranges, bananas.

Sounds yummy, doesn’t it? Not really. It does taste good, but I miss potato chips, hamburgers, French fries, and donuts. But hey, it’s worth it, right?

God I hope so.

1 comment:

  1. i wondered why christa made the switch, how long does she have to do this? also, I am going to try to do a fast. Might do day one today :) haha I will let you know how it goes. I have an ultimate goal to do a weeks fast sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete